Changing the transmission oil is a necessary procedure, especially for vehicles with a manual gearbox. This is a particular compound that creates a strong film, so as to withstand very high loads.
The role of the gear oil in gearbox
The oil used to lubricate the transfer cases, gear boxes, steering gear, and transmission and drive axle’s gears and chain drives. Thus, they are used wherever necessary or transmit turning via the oil itself or through gears. Their main feature is, to lubricate the resistance surface, but beyond it, gear oils must meet some objectives:
- Through the formation of a solid film, they prevent wear of friction parts.
- Heat transfer.
- Corrosion Protection.
- Reduce shock loads on the contacting gears.
The gear oil needs to be changed more frequently than the engine. However, this procedure is also mandatory. When you are unable to change the oil due to your busy schedule, it is, therefore, necessary to regularly check the level. In this case, note that you can just use the original oil, which does not harm your car.
What about the automatic transmission, as in this case, the oil should be changed every 70 thousand kilometers, but more precisely it depends on several factors, such as operating conditions, climate, and type of automatic transmission.
Replacing the oil in a Manual Transmission
- For starters, take a small march, no more than 20 kilometers, it will warm up the old oil, and it will have the right level of turnover so that it will drain quite simple.
- Leave the vehicle alone for 10 to 15 minutes, but no more.
- Remove the oil filler cap; it will greatly facilitate the whole procedure. Incidentally, immediately check the condition of the O-ring on the cover, and change it if necessary.
- Very gently turn away a stopper located at the drainage hole, and pour out the old waste oil.
- Wrap back the drain hole, add the required amount of fluid (to the lower edge). In the end, cover the cork.
Oil Change In Automatic Transmission
What about the operation of automatic transmission, in this case, all the initial actions and instruments will be identical with the mechanics, the differences already appear after the installation of a car on a viewing hole. It is necessary to disconnect the feed pipe from the radiator, or rather from its socket. Then put the pipe into the container, which shall be greater than 5 liters. Start the engine in neutral gear; thus fluid will be drained out, but be aware that the engine must not operate for more than one minute.
After switching off the engine, remove the plug from the drain hole, and pour the remaining wasted liquid. Turning back the plug, the syringe fills 5.5 liters of new oil through the filler hole, located at the top of the crankcase. Next, fill a syringe with 2 liters of fluid through the supply hose. Start the engine again and mix through a tube of 3.5 liters of oil.
After stopping the engine, back to fill in 3.5 liters of the tube and perform the last two procedures as long as the supply of the pipe does not flow out as much as 8 liters. At the end pour the required amount of hydraulic fluid. Note that, in any case, if it is impossible to fill more than or less than the transmission oil, the amount should be strictly the same as specified in the service book cars.
Thecarmasters.com – Transmission Repair Shop Lexington KY is a Full-Service Car Repair and preventative servicing center, Thecarmasters has been servicing Transmission needs for over ten years. Our experts will repair Brake, transmission, starters and other parts of the car on time and without delay.